Mendel and Freedman
770-774 Chapel Street
Trolley and Motorcars in front of Mendel and Freedman Department Store, c. 1918. Courtesy New Haven Museum.
Postcard of Mendel and Freedman, c. 1910. Courtesy of Joe Taylor.
Adolph Mendel and Isidor Freedman, who was born in Bruckhausen, Germany in 1854, formed a business partnership, establishing what would become one of the biggest department stores in Connecticut. The number of employees grew from two clerks to 250 employees. The interior of the store was destroyed by a major fire and closed in 1921. Mr. Mendel formed a partnership with Mr. Harris and rebuilt the store as Mendel and Harris. When competition forced them to close, they were replaced by Stanley Dry Goods, which occupied the building for many years.
- Text source courtesy Jewish Historical Society of Greater New Haven Archives.
More About This Site