760 Chapel Street
Horowitz Brothers, c. 1966. Courtesy of Jewish Historical Society of Greater New Haven.
The Chapel Street Horowitz Brothers building dates to the 1800s, and first housed dry goods retailer Charles Monson Co. William Horowitz, who was born in Russia in 1892, came to New Haven in 1910 and became a peddler. He was the founder and President of Horowitz Brothers, a dry goods store on Grand Avenue, which opened in 1913. His sons Phillip and Leonard and their cousin Arthur moved the store to Chapel Street in 1939. Phillip Horowitz and his employees were known for their friendliness. Phillip, Leonard and Arthur ran Horowitz Brothers for 66 years, until the store closed in early 2005 after Phillip’s death. Monson Building LLC bought the building from the Horowitz family in January 2005. The southwest corner of Chapel and State Streets was renamed as the Horowitz Brothers Corner that April.
- Text source courtesy Jewish Historical Society of Greater New Haven Archives.
More About This Site